Thursday, October 14, 2010

31 Days of Halloween - Day 14

Nothing says Halloween more than a skull.  Unless of course the skull is a sugar skull sometimes called a Calavera (actually the Spanish word for skull).  These are used to celebrate the Day of the Dead which truly is a celebration and usually involves lots of eating and partying.  It occurs on Nov. 2nd so Alex and I decided that her Sugar Skull was still just perfect for 31 Days of Halloween.

This was created using a paper mache skull picked up at a local craft store and then painted white with acrylic paints.  After the paint dried, Alex used stamps, stencils and a pencil to create some guidelines for the designs to decorate the skull.
Then the fun began!  Grabbing every color of Viva Decor Glitter Liners and Pearl Liners she had she began to select which color went where and go over the designs.  Because she has a tendency to put her fingers in to anything that needs to dry, she was smart enough to do a small portion at a time.
Since Alex doesn't have any Viva Decor in red (a problem soon to be remedied) she decided to use silver on the teeth.  Most of the images Alex has seen for Sugar Skulls have the mouth outlined and the teeth defined.  However, once she saw it this way, it looked so much like braces or a mouth stapled shut she decided to just leave it.

I told you she had a surprise for today!  Want to know a secret?  Even Alex is surprised with how well this turned out!

Challenges:
Macabre Monday HDH #060- Simply Sinister
Art on the Darkside #64 - In 3D

Happy Halloween!
Edgar

16 comments:

SuzieQ said...

Alex did a fantastic job and I love the mouth.

Unknown said...

Too cool, I love the staple effect on the mouth.

DonnaMundinger said...

LOVE it! Definitely good move to leave the mouth silver. Went to M's ysterday and these skulls were sold out! BooHoo! xxD

Daniella said...

Perfect!! Totally love this! I did my sugar skulls teeth the same way, I've seen it both ways. I was too chickn to try to outline the mouth, knowing I would mess it up! Wicked!

ldfdesign said...

love the skull, the colors are wonderful!

Sugar said...

I love this skull! It is so pretty and creepy at the same time!

Alison said...

Edgar, you look quite regal perched atop that skull! Alex did a wonderful job with it, and i think the silver for the mouth/stitches/braces is purrfect! This came out fantastic! No wi want to make one!

Kelli Green aka Cajunstampingqueen said...

Good morning Edgar! I totally love Alexs' skull! It is totally awesome! And I have to say you look especially dapper on top of it!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness Girl this is amazing! What a lovely Halloween decoration! I absolutely love it and love all the girly touches you added with Viva! :)
Hugs~ Kim

Unknown said...

Alex this is fantastic I love it
Luv Jane xxx

Stitchinwitch said...

That is beautiful. The stapled mouth looks super cool

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Wow Alex - this is Simply Superb This is taking centre stage I assume on your shrine? It deserves to be
Helen xx

Steph said...

Wicked skull! Creepy with the "staples" mouth.

KC said...

great skull! I love the teeth...I thought they looked sewed shut but its way cool that way!

Susan Says (Stupid Stuff) said...

Fab fab skull! Thanks for joining in with our challenge at HDH this week, and good luck! :D

Suzanne J Dean said...

LOL---you crack me up Alex--love it!

hugz,
Suzanne